THE CHALLENGE OF KEEPING THE ACTION ALIVE with the Boston Red Sox
During the covid-19 outbreak, social distancing mandates were put in place to ban patrons at major sporting events. Professional photographers were restricted access to normal shooting positions, eliminating key positions for shooting game coverage. Eliminating shooting positions means missing key action and important moments telling the story of an mlb game. All of this results in poor fan engagement.
MRMC and Nikon were tasked with using their Robotic Pod technology to increase fan engagement through remote professional image & video capture.
MEET THE POD
The Robotic Pod system is a leading, next-generation, remote production tool. Designed for the toughest of tasks, in the most remote of locations, this system helps capture new angles with ease.
The modular system enables you to quickly and easily change your remote position from a wide to a super-tight shot. The Nikon FX full-frame sensor provides fantastic dynamic range, colour depth and low noise sensor performance – as well as a vast range of lens options.
Key Features Include
- Remote controllable with a Nikon Flagship camera & NIKKOR lens
- Image capture at 12fps with an ISO sensitivity from 100 to 102,400 (expandable to 3.2M ISO).
- IP67 weatherproofing for extended outdoor use.
- Instant image transfer via FTP (RAW or JPG).
- Easy installation with modular system.
- Video output via SDI available at 1080p or 1080i, 60fps or 30fps.
- 5 different zoom lens configurations available from 24-70 to 200-500.
- Providing high-quality remote image and video capture.
GAME CHANGER: ROBOTIC PODS CHANGED THE GAME FOR REMOTE IMAGE CAPTURE.
SAFETY UNDER CONTROL
- Strategically placed Pods in locations to capture important angles of game action and player reaction to tell the story of each game.
- Full remote operation of zoom, focus, exposure, and more.
- Ability to pan, tilt and roll effortlessly to achieve the desired angle.
- Customisable UI: MHC (Multi Head Controller) can control up to 12 PODs at a time and can be tailored to each user and subject photographed.
- Able to be placed where photographers cannot go enabling the operation from a safe distance in a broadcast booth overlooking the field of play.
FENWAY PARK X NIKON
In stadium setup
The red sox team photographers were able to capture entire game action using all 5 pods from the safe distance of a broadcast booth. Images were successfully transmitted to an FTP server where they could be accessed by permissioned users for deployment to desired platforms. MRMC and Nikon’s collaboration utilising the remote image capture of the Robotic Pods resulted in incredible images captured from impossible angles.
Learn more about the Robotic Pod