Location: Blindley Heath, Surrey, RH7 6JP
Contract type: permanent , full-time
The Research and Development Manager will report directly to CEO and will be in charge of managing the delivery of all technical projects – Including oversight of electronic, mechanical, software areas.
Although entitled ‘R&D Manager’ we are not looking for someone to only focus on the ‘future’ and innovations. This role is more about project management and ensuring the successful completion of all projects on time and budget.
The R&D Manager will be expected to look after anywhere between 15 and 20 projects at once, with a mixture of bespoke client led products and core product development.
As the role evolves (along with the R&D Managers’ knowledge within the space/company), he/she will be expected to become more involved in thought leadership and becoming pro-active in identifying development opportunities.
From a technical perspective, the role holder will need to have a broad knowledge of electronics, mechanics and software engineering (although not necessarily a deep expertise in all 3).
They will need to understand how everything works together – the role will oversee all product development and thus this is essential.
The role holder must be adaptable to change and able to handle ever changing priorities in line with client requirements and will be expected to hold technical conversations both internally and externally.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Manage design and project engineers, in the fields of electronics, mechanics and software.
- Assume product design responsibilities and lead a cross-functional team through all stages of product development
- Solicit and apply inputs from broadcast/film/robotics thought leaders, marketing, sales, and other engineers to define product specifications
- Understand complex mechanical, electronic and software systems.
- Develop solutions to design problems through the application of engineering principles, analysis, and empirical methods.
- Proactively anticipate technical issues and with input from the project team, create and execute project plans to meet team objectives.
- Design prototypes for proof of concept
- Develop methods and protocols for product verification and validation testing.
- Enhance the intellectual property position of the company via invention disclosures and patent applications
- Manage departmental expenditure and personnel resources.
- Balance flow of resources among projects & maintain project priorities.
- Help sales of custom solutions by providing sales with feedback as to what is and isn’t possible and where needed rough system sketches or budgets.
- Ensure projects are executed properly & achieve market success
- Develops and maintains specifications and provides planning resources and tool requirements.
- Evaluates final results of R&D projects to assure accomplishment of technical objectives.
- Selects, develops, and evaluates personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the function.
- Works with Sales & Marketing Team to transfer identified market demands into new products.
- Establishes and effectively communicates R&D activities across departments
- Responsible for managing the IP portfolio and patent related topics.
- Be responsible for the development and delivery of innovative, class beating range of robotic camera solutions for a growing range of markets.
- Lead and manage (hands on) an established team of electronic, design, development, software and mechanical engineers (team of 26) to deliver projects on time, to market specification and within budget.
- Have strong project / programme management capabilities, able to lead a team to deliver on time, to market specification and within budget.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
WHAT WE OFFER
Our success is only possible because of the team effort from everyone and we recognise the individual input of each person throughout our design and manufacturing process at MRMC.
- training and development opportunities
- ample and secure parking
MRMC receives a large number of applications and we are not always able to provide individual feedback on your application. If you don’t hear from us within 15 working days from the date you have applied, it means the application didn’t meet minimum requirements to go onto the next stage of recruitment. We value your time and interest in MRMC and encourage you to re-apply if your circumstances change or you find another role with us that is more suitable to your skills and experience.
By submitting your application/CV online you are confirming you have read and accept the above and you are giving your consent to MRMC to process your personal and sensitive personal data for the purposes explained above.
Apply for this role
Please send your up to date CV to moc.ocomrm@rh to be considered for this position. MRMC will be delighted to hear from you. MRMC processes your personal data in accordance with the MRMC Privacy Notice. You have the right to object to certain processing activities of your personal data.